- Competitive salary commensurate with a Directors Group level appointment
- Competitive pension contribution and other benefits
- Scope for flexible working, including working from home
- Opportunity to work for a leading humanitarian charity
If you’re looking to progress your career in a great working environment, please read on.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including 33 days holiday (including bank holidays), life insurance, enhanced maternity and adoption pay, and generous employer pension contribution.
|Department||Global Impact Department|
|Responsible for||Regional Directors; Head of Global Technical Unit; Head of Humanitarian Team; Strategic Account Manager.|
|Responsible to||Chief Executive|
|Key relationships||Board of Trustees, Directors Group, Heads of teams, regional Heads of Programmes.|
HelpAge International is the leading NGO working on ageing and development. We are a progressive and dynamic organisation that is having a transformational impact on the lives of disadvantaged older people throughout the world. The contribution that older people make to society is invaluable, yet some remain the poorest and most neglected groups of people in the world.
We are currently seeking to appoint an inspiring Director Global Impact & Resourcing to drive the delivery of HelpAge International’s ambitious new vision. As ageing starts to take a more central place on the global development and humanitarian agenda, we are transitioning from our history as a UK-based NGO to a future where we will focus increasingly on working through a network of age-focused organisations across the globe to achieve our vision. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to shape our further evolution and help us have a clear purpose and forward looking agenda. You will strategically develop the global network approach and harness the expertise and reach of this network to shape the ageing agenda for the 21st century.
- To support the overall mission and development of HelpAge International, ensuring that we continue to deliver and report upon positive direct impact to older people in both development and humanitarian settings.
- To lead and be accountable for HelpAge International’s work, and line management of our regional and country staff and offices.
- To ensure clear communications and agreed ways of working between the Regional Hubs, Countries and the network members.
- Provide senior organisational leadership as a member of the Global Directors team and Leadership Group and contribute positively to the desired culture, ways of working, and general running of the organization.
- Support the effective governance of HelpAge International by providing the Board and sub-committees with accurate and transparent information on our programmes, enabling Trustees to make informed decisions.
- Represent HelpAge International at the highest level within a wide external network, leading on a number of key organisational relationships within the international development and humanitarian communities in particular.
- Provide overall strategic direction and operational leadership to HelpAge International’s overseas programme work and teams.
Strategy and Planning
- Set clear strategic direction for HelpAge International’s overseas programme work in line with the organisation’s theory of change and network vision.
- Ensure HelpAge International’s programmes are both locally relevant and globally coherent, based upon clear annual planning, budgeting and monitoring processes.
- Work with Regional Directors to ensure HelpAge International has the appropriate global footprint, shape and operational models required to achieve optimal impact with available resources – setting regional budgets, deciding when to enter and exit countries and/or regions, invest or scale back etc.
- Report to Global Directors and Board members on organisational progress against strategy and annual plans based on internal monitoring processes, and capturing relevant information about impact, expenditure and value for money.
- Work with the Director of Network, Advocacy and Communications to integrate network development into the strategic direction of international programme work.
- Provide overall oversight to resource development activities globally, in coordination with Regional Directors, and convene relevant internal stakeholders to review progress.
- Oversee the development of supporting members’ resource development activities and ensure these are joined up with HelpAge International’s strategy.
- Provide strategic direction to the development and management of key strategic donor relationships (DFID, SIDA, Irish Aid).
- Drive changes to HelpAge International’s existing business model through increased levels of contracting, consultancy and other funding mechanisms.
- Oversee the effective delivery of international programmes that are fully compliant both with our internal processes and the broad range of external standards or commitments we have signed up to as an organisation.
- Hold overall responsibility for the Global Impact Department budget and ensure this is monitored effectively.
- Ensuring that the principle of decentralised management to which we are committed is working as intended, working with both the Regional Directors and other department Directors within a functional and effective matrix management system.
- Develop and embody a positive, collaborative “one team” culture across the Global Impact Department and regional hubs.
- Attract and/or retain the people that HelpAge International needs to deliver our strategy.
- Ensure that all members of the Global Impact Department are working within organisational performance and talent management processes.
- Identify and implement improvements to key systems and processes that impact the ability of HelpAge International to deliver programmes effectively, in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer and Head of Operations.
- Commitment to the goals and values of HelpAge International, and a deep empathy and enjoyment working with older people
- In depth knowledge of development/humanitarian programme and policy issues
- A proven leader, able to coach, direct, motivate and inspire colleagues and external audiences from diverse culture and backgrounds.
- Proven senior management experience, preferably in an international organisation, with a proven ability to manage change and significant complexity.
- Experience at having successfully designed and delivered a strategy and/or an organisational design process
- Substantial experience in reviewing, writing and presenting pitches, projects, formal applications.
- Substantial experience in raising funds from institutional donors, with a demonstrable record of success.
- Top-level representation, communication and influencing skills.
- Flair and liking for collaborative working, and ability to combine direct line management with working within a decentralised, matrix management structure
- Strong financial management skills.
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Excellent planning, organisational and administrative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to accomplish complex tasks simultaneously, often under extreme pressure.
- Fluency in another language.
- Knowledge of ageing issues in an international development context.